Journal of the Royal Australian Historical Society
The Journal of the Royal Australian Historical Society (JRAHS) is a peer-reviewed history journal. First published in 1906, it is the oldest journal of Australian history. JRAHS publishes original, non-fiction scholarly articles, reviews and images on Australian history. All articles undergo a process of independent review by appropriately qualified historians before acceptance for publication.
RAHS members can get free access to recent issues of JRAHS by logging into their online member account at this link.
The JRAHS welcomes submissions of original, unpublished manuscripts, between 6,000-8,000 words, on any aspect of Australian history. You can learn more about making a submission from the menu below.
Your Title Goes Here
Make a submission
Submitting an article:
The Editor welcomes submissions to the JRAHS. All manuscripts should follow specific guidelines:
- Material should be original research and not previously published.
- The length of articles should be between 6,000-8,000 words.
- Manuscripts should be typed and follow the guidelines in the JRAHS Style Guide.
- Authors should attach a completed JRAHS Submission Checklist with their manuscript.
- Illustrated material should not be embedded in the electronic text but submitted as separate files.
- An abstract of approximately 100 words should be included with the manuscript along with a brief note (maximum 50 words) on the contributor, including affiliations, expertise, areas of interest and a list of publications.
One copy of the manuscript should be submitted:
Via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submitting a book for review:
The Editor welcomes scholarly, non-fiction publications in Australian and Pacific history and politics for review. These should be addressed to the Book Review Editor at the above address.
Accessing previous issues on Trove
RAHS Journal and Proceedings from 1901-1954 are now online through the National Library of Australia’s Trove:
- Vol.1 pt.1 1901 – Vol.4 pt.5 1918:
- Vol.4 pt.6 1918 – Vol.40 pt.7 1954:
Please be aware that some articles published in the Journal of the Royal Australian Historical Society may include terms and views considered inappropriate today. While the information may not reflect current understanding, it is provided in a historical context.
Purchasing past issues or articles
Most recent issue – $11.50
Individual issues from vol. 78 onwards – $11.00
Earlier issues (subject to availability) – $5.50
Single article scanned/emailed or photocopied/posted – $7.50
Please contact us if you require multiple articles.
The JRAHS has a Green Open Access policy. Green Open Access (self-archiving) is when authors deposit a version of their published work into a subject-based repository or an institutional repository.
Here are the abstracts for our four most recent issues. For previous issues, please contact the librarian.