Tram No. R1 1995 has a strong association with the NSW tramway system, which was an important feature in the physical development of both Sydney and Newcastle providing cheap and reliable public transport, and reflects the technical achievements in the public transport system at that time.
Constructed in 1951 by Commonwealth Engineering, the tram was allocated to the Rozelle Tram Depot operating from it until the closure of the depot in 1958. It was then transferred to the Dowling Street Depot and was the last tram to operate on the entire network before its closure in 1961 (travelling from La Perouse). It has been stored at the Rozelle Depot since 1995 and was used for the sod turning ceremony for the Inner West Light Rail in 1995.
The presence of the tram contributes significantly to an understanding of the context and operation of the former use of the Rozelle Tram Depot. It provides important physical evidence of the purpose and use of the Depot for over 60 years that continues to resonate today. The tram plays an important role in understanding and interpreting the original role of the depot without which this historic function would be more difficult to interpret. Click here for more information.