The oldest remaining Anglican church by foundation stone in Australia turns 200 years old on 11 October 2017 – the state-listed St Matthew’s Anglican Church Windsor.
The church was started by Henry Kitchen and completed by Francis Greenway. Its commanding presence in the upper Hawkesbury valley came early in the European history of the third mainland settlement of Australia. St Matthew’s has NSW State listing as one of the finest and earliest Christian precincts in the country comprising an 1810 burial ground, an exquisite church with the first organ assembled in Australia, remaining glebe land and 1823-1825 rectory and stables together with a later Parish Centre, all within the original setting prescribed by Governor Macquarie overlooking his ‘great square’, now McQuade Park.
– On Saturday 14 October from 10am-3pm the church is holding a ‘Big Birthday Bash’ in McQuade Park, Windsor with entertainment all day, including a re-enactment and RAAF Flypast, opposite the church in Moses Street from 10am to 3pm.
– On Sunday 15 October in St Matthew’s will be held a special official Commemorative Church Service commencing at 11am.
Click here for more information.