History, is not as we know it. Records are patchy, evidence is destroyed and many people disagree about what happened. 2SER’s new podcast History Lab is about exploring the gaps between us and the past.
An innovative collaboration between the producers at 2SER 107.3 and the Australian Centre for Public History at the University of Technology Sydney, History Lab is Australia’s first investigative history podcast.
This brand new Australian genre draws listeners into the investigative process, to take them into the excitement and uncertainties of making sense of the past. The first season of History Lab will run with four episodes with a bonus fifth episode exploring the making of the series:
- Episode 1: Lindy Chamberlain and the Afterlife of Evidence – What has happened to all the evidence on which Lindy’s trials turned?
- Episode 2: Damages for a broken heart – What is the history of love and heartbreak in colonial Australia?
- Episode 3: When the Titanic sank in the outback – Why is there a memorial to the Titanic in the middle of outback Australia?
- Episode 4: Fishing for answers – We encounter the practices of the Eora fisherwomen and discover if you listen closely the past of Sydney Harbour still sings.
- Episode 5 (bonus): The making of History Lab – Explore the thrills and spills of Season 1, and how you can get involved in the next season.
Host Tamson Pietsch says, ‘By making transparent the process of investigation, we want listeners to finish an episode with a sense that they have made connections themselves. We hope they will leave with tools that help them see in a different light. This is the kind of history podcast we are working towards and our first four episodes an experiment in that direction.’
Episode 1 is available now, and the series is available on all podcast apps including Apple Podcasts. Listen on Whooshkaa or online at 2ser.com. For a preview of what’s in store for Season One, listen to Episode Zero now. For more information, head to historylab.net.