The Council of the RAHS is seeking expressions of interest for the position of editor of the Journal of the Royal Australian Historical Society (JRAHS). The current editor Adjunct Associate Professor Carol Liston AO and our proof reader Mrs Joy Hughes are stepping down after many years of distinguished services in their respective roles. The RAHS Council thanks Adjunct Associate Professor Carol Liston AO for her service as editor and Mrs Joy Hughes for her service as journal proof reader.
The JRAHS is the official journal of the RAHS. It is a peer-reviewed biannual journal, the aim of which is to publish original, non-fiction scholarly articles and reviews on all aspects of Australian history. The Editor (or Editorial Team) is supported by the JRAHS Editorial Board and the RAHS Publications Committee. The appointment is for an initial period of three years, renewable by mutual agreement.
The RAHS Council welcomes expressions of interest from historians engaged in any aspect of Australian history, to be received by Friday 3 February 2023 at 5 pm.
Responsibilities of the Editor role include:
- Engaging members of the history community to submit articles and undertaking timely reviews of drafts.
- Alongside support staff, the Publications Committee and the Editorial Board, collating the proofs for review and applying editorial policies and style guidance.
- Maintaining the high level of quality of the publication that should be focussed on supporting the education goals of the Society.
- Ensuring appropriate and timely communication with contributors and encouraging a variety of submissions.
- Working with support staff to coordinate media releases and social media promotion.
- Writing an editorial that outlines the content and common themes of each issue.
Expressions of interest should include:
- A brief cv (one-page max) that outlines your experience.
- A brief outline (one-page max) of your thoughts on the future direction of the journal.
Members of the Publications Committee are happy to discuss with potential applicants what the position involves. The role of editor is an honorary position, but the RAHS Council is happy to discuss an honorarium to cover expenses incurred. Subject to the number of applications, the RAHS Council will appoint the successful applicant to the position at the 17 February Council Meeting.
Expressions of interest should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Published online: 20 January 2023
Please share, thank you.
If you enjoyed reading this, please feel free to share it. Thank you.