- Foster Collection - Donated by Ethel Foster and Arthur George Foster, this collection includes over 250 books, 381 glass slides and a collection of scrapbooks and pamphlets.
Josephine Ethel Foster (1870-1955) joined the RAHS with her Arthur George (1861-1924) husband in 1901. They were inaugural members and awarded Fellowship 1924 and 1921 respectively. They bequeathed their collections to the Society, which included over 250 books, 381 glass slides as well as their collection of 35 scrapbooks. The glass slides contain rare photographs of Devonshire Street Cemetery, taken as it was being demolished to make way for Central Station.
- Walker Collection - Donated by Frank Walker, highlights include glass lantern slides taken as he cycled over 22,500 miles around New South Wales from 1896–1905.
An inaugural member, Frank Walker joined the Society in 1901, held several offices including Treasurer, Vice-President and President 1912-13. He was awarded Fellowship in 1916. A keen photographer, Frank’s contribution of approximately 2000 slides taken as his cycled 22,562 miles around NSW, Victoria & Tasmania from 1896 – 1905 provides an important snapshot of the country and its towns at this period. He also travelled and photographed Norfolk Island in 1917. Other donations include 34 books, 48 manuscripts and over 60 photographs. He also contributed 18 articles to the JRAHS.
Click here to view Frank Walker's images in the RAHS' Image Library - enter 'Frank Walker' in the keyword search.
- Watson Collection - Donated by Captain James Henry Watson (1841-1934) who became a member of the RAHS in 1904, receiving Fellowship in 1916.
Captain James Henry Watson (1841-1934) became a member of the RAHS in 1904, receiving Fellowship in 1916. He donated a large number of glass slides, 32 volumes of press clippings, twenty manuscripts, 76 photographs and over sixty books. Captain Watson donated a rare first edition of David Collins’ An Account of English Colony in NSW, which was published in 1798.
- Adastra Aerial Survey Collection - Early aerial views of the NSW coast and Sydney region dating from 1935 to 1937.
These early aerial views show Sydney and coastal towns throughout NSW. Comprising approximately 200 images from negatives & plates they date from 1935 to 1937. Aerial photos from this period are not common; these images show views of the NSW coast and Sydney region.
Images from this collection are being added to the RAHS Flickr Commons channel. Click here to view this album.
For further information on the Adastra company and its aerial surveys, click here to visit the website.
- Kodak Historical Photography Presentation - Images of Sydney taken from glass negatives mounted on original photo board from the Kodak Historical Photography Presentation of the 1950s.
This collection contains 43 large black & white images high quality copy prints taken from glass negatives mounted on original photo board (52 x 41cm) from the Kodak Historical Photography Presentation, c1950’s. Contained within a large leather suitcase used as a travelling display, it includes numerous images, mainly of Sydney, from John Sharkey, the first Official Government Photographer, as well as others.
Click here to view this collection on the RAHS' Flickr Commons channel.
- Osborne Collection - Photographs of Sydney CBD and the Eastern Suburbs during the 1920s and 1930s, as well as Newcastle, the Illawarra, Central Coast and Tenterfield, NSW.
This substantial collection of nearly 400 photographs, c. 1930’s, is predominantly of the Sydney CBD and immediate environs, particularly the Eastern Suburbs. There were also a number of images pertaining to other regions such as Newcastle, the Illawarra and Central Coast and Tenterfield.
Click here to view the Osborne Collection in the RAHS' Image Library - enter 'Osborne' in the keyword search.