Welcome to the C.H.Bertie & Hugh Wright Memorial Library (RAHS Library)
The RAHS Library contains a valuable research collection of more than 60,000 items on Australian history. The collection is the result of over a hundred years of acquisitions and donations by people with a special interest in the history of New South Wales and its regions and includes historic photographs, manuscripts, cemetery records and a complete set of the Society’s Journal of the Royal Australian Historical Society published since 1906. A collection of recent publications in Australian history is available for browsing, as are historical directories such as Sands and the NSW Statistical Registers.
Refreshment Room at Taronga Zoo c 1920 [RAHS Photograph Collection]
The most popular resources used at the RAHS Library include:
- Our photograph collections, which includes over 10,795 images
- Our hard copies of the Sands Sydney Directories 1858 – 1931 (held for most of these years)
- The computerised index to the Journal of the Royal Australian History Society. There are approximately 4,000 entries covering 98 volumes
- Historical Records of Australia / Historical Records of NSW , which contains a wealth of information on the early colony
- Our Rare Books Room. Many works in the collection were published prior to 1900.
The RAHS Library is open between 10am and 4pm Monday to Friday. The public is welcome to use the Library for a small daily fee which is waived for RAHS members. The Library is not open on weekends or public holidays. We encourage anyone wanting to know more about the RAHS library and its collections to explore the online library catalogues and indexes, contact us or visit the Library at History House during opening hours. Furthermore, click here to learn more about the history of the library and the collections.
Contact the Library
Ph. (02) 9247 8001
Fax. (02) 9247 7854
First Floor, History House
133 Macquarie Street
Sydney, NSW 2000